Srila Prabhupada's ISKCON ; SPIRITNET

Chant Gauranga ! and Be Happy

Please read text 20 of chapter three along with the purport, and then read the following commentary.  Afterwards, each participant should offer a thought or comment on this passage. As you do so, please consider this study question:

If, as we discussed in the previous post, those who are fully realized in Krsna Consciousness do not need to perform yajna and duties, then why do they do so?

karmanaiva hi samsiddhim
asthita janakadayah
loka-sangraham evapi
sampasyan kartum arhasi

This passage addresses today’s question by reminding us that King Janaka, father of Sita in the Ramayana was fully realized. Through a life of duty, he had attained perfection. Yet he continued to perform in this manner as an example for his people.  The people need a role model to follow if they are to become self-realized.

This is a very old notion. Whether we look at Confucianism, Buddhism, or even the ethics of Aristotle, we find the same pattern. Human beings who are materially conditioned cannot escape this conditioning on their own. One needs to have the example of one who has already attained what is desired.  Humans cannot be forced into acting correctly, but rather they must choose for themselves to work towards this end. Once a person has decided to aim towards being self-realized, which he cannot do unless he knows that such a position is possible (hence the need for a role model), then he can follow in the footsteps of that role model.

The Confucian Book of Odes says, “In hewing an axe handle in hewing an axe handle, the pattern is not far off. If we take an axe handle to hew another axe handle and look askance from the one to the other, we may still think the pattern is far away. Therefore the superior man governs men as men, in accordance with human nature, and as soon as they change [what is wrong], he stops.” If you ask someone who has never seen an axe handle to make one for you, they will have no idea what to do. However, if you give that person another axe handle as an example, the task becomes easier, but it will still take time to hone it to perfection. The same is true of a materially conditioned soul. If that individual has no knowledge of what it is supposed to look like, it will not even know how to begin. A role model is a necessity.

The Buddha demonstrated that liberation from the material world was possible. He could have remained in nirvana, but instead he came back to the material world and served as a role model for another 45 years, and left a legacy that many people still follow to this day. In like fashion, King Janaka continued to perform duties as a demonstration to his people of how to make offering and live correctly. Arjuna and the Pandeva brothers tried everything to prevent war, but when the Kurus refused any type of negotiation, they went to war. This also serves as example to the people that while violence is not preferred, there are instances when it is necessary to set things right. In short, humans learn by example, and we should learn to follow those who are transcendentally situation.

Incidentally, this is the reason why a person who wishes to become fully Krsna Conscious should not just pick up a sacred text it read it for himself. Instead, he should seek the guidance of a spiritual master within the disciplic succession. Since the time of Lord Caitanya there has been an unbroken chain of disciplic succession stretching down to the modern day. When one studies with such a guru, one is certain of the information received, and one learns to perform ones duties correctly.

The ideal role model for the modern age is our acarya, Srila Prabhupada, the perfected soul, who has set the example for all who wish to follow him.

Views: 89

Replies to This Discussion

yad yad acreti sretsha; what is done by the leading men is followed by the others.

I will share briefly an experience at Facebook preachingland. There are many who try to say Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, Hare Krsna, are all religions, are all equal, and all teach love. This is, of course, false. I have run a tough battle for a couple of weeks over this matter, and curiosly, the Paris attacks came during this time, so my points suddenly became salient. But heres the thing; it was agonizing for me, as I have Arab friends, and wish for loving peace. Devotees and non devotees castigated me or accused me and hated on me. Others rallied to the call. It was in all traumatic for me, in that I am alone at home, my computor interactions become thus of more importance, and so i risked my reputation etc to speak up on an issue that strikes me as fundamental at this time in history, and with the rape and murder of our godsist Kate Mueller, I was particularly incensed to carry this fact-placing battle forward into the minds of the brainwashed new age devotees.

So, as senior devotees, what we do carries along to those around us. I am imperfect, and so it is humbling and straining to try to lead a truer direction in some things, knowing that eyes are upon one. One has to accept one's status of consciousness as it is, and try not to change or deviate from Srila Prabhupada's messages yet bringing them into the most modern contexts.

Your feelings do you credit, Prabhuji, and we should all feel a sense of disgust at the acts of radical extremists. It is true that Krsna Consciousness is above all other traditions. It has religious elements, certainly, but it transcends religion. It is the science of loving God. Those who are truly devoted to the service of Krsna will not be led to the falsehood that KC is just like any other faith.

When I teach World Religions, I do make it a point to demonstrate that all faiths have the same basic, underlying message, an ethical message about how we should interact with each other. The moral teaching at the heart of every faith is the Golden Rule: Treat others the way you wish to be treated. In fact, Rabbi Hillel once said that this was the entirety of the Torah and that everything else was just commentary.

So, on the purely materalistic side, all religions preach roughly the same message; however, materially conditioned souls, being imperfect and lacking the truth, will misinterpret these teachings and use them for their own purposes. Isis, al-Quida, Taliban, etc. do not represent Islam. They mistakenly call themselves Muslims, but a Muslim is one who has surrendered to God. Their actions are the direct opposite what Islam is meant to be.

If a person faithfully follows any religious path correctly, they will be a better person, and help make the world a better place by following its moral teachings. However, only in Krsna Consciousness can we move beyond this material goal. Srila Prabhupada, the great acarya, has taught us that Krsna Consciousness is a science, not a religion. It is grounded in Absolute Truth and the understanding of our true constitutional position. Once fully engaged in KC, all of these material cares become irrelevant We will not be afflicted by the ups and downs of the wheel of life, but will always be perfectly content in the service of Krsna.

So, while condemning the actions of radical extremists and waging this type of war may be beneficial to this material world, it would be far more beneficial to direct our attention towards chanting in the streets, distributing books and prasadam, and trying to take Prabhupada's message of Krsna Consciousness to the world. Until Lord Caitanya's prophesy is fulfilled, there can never be genuine peace in the material world.

All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

Hare Krsna!

My point is this; Srila Prabhupada was poisonned, and similarly, they tried to poison Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati. There is thus a history of attacks on our Gurus. But specifically, those who murdered Srila Prabhupada's body is my concern above all else. It turns out that ultra rich Illuminati overlords are dictating and controlling from positions of demonic power. Destroying them is the intent.

I don't agree that the mid-east religions are good; I see them as mixed bags of lies with religious intent smeared over top like icing. All these phoney religions can come tumbling down, and we would all be better off without them. Religions are used by the oppressors at the top to control the people and steer them like cattle for a profit in the name of Lucifer.

Islam is a lie, its simply a terrorist organization born of murder and schizophrenia within the feuding moon cults of old Arabia, and does not teach love of Godhead so much as  obedience to laws of the dictator/state, in reality. The very books they use as law are full of hatred against other faiths. So, if there are saints, in cases of mid-east faiths, it is in SPITE of the so-called religious systems, and so such persons are very rarely seen. Not all are the same, my points are general. Bhavisya Purana warns us against the evil cult of Islam. We all know Buddhism was given to deviate rascals by Krsna Himself, so there is a long history of bogus religions.

Look at each ; what do they produce, as we can tell the nature of the tree by the fruits, yes ? Oppression of women, inequalities, torture, war, ; these are the fruits of so-called Islam. The only peace they have is because if they are not peacefully fully doing as bid, the state will cut off their heads. Where are all these saintly peaceful Muslims? Hidden in caves with the rest of the Sufis, who are mostly yogis, not Muslim?

Christianity i dare say is better, but it too has seen a long history of murder and war and torture over religious doctirnes. The Jews right now have branched into Zionism and are running the whole planet into hell.

The  Christians and Jews are both similar, meat eaters and war mongers. Wet stool, dry stool. There may be a handful of idealists at the top, but the social control systems that are these religions have gotten out of control in all cases using all mannner of despotism to oppress and subsume peoples.

So, when we speak of religion, let us define them practically in terms of what they really do, as opposed to how it all might sound ideally on paper. There may be saints in every walk of life, they may be following the ideal, but that is not the common man at all.

This world is part and parcel of Godhead, too. Actions taken to relieve the sufferings of all are the concern of Srila Prabhupada, not that we simply wait to die and then dance in Vaikuntha. Srila Prabhupada said that we should be involved in all things including politics, sociology, etc. This Movement is for emancipation of all, to help all creatures in reality, and is not just a lightning path for a handful of obssessive compulsive idealists.

Yes, harinama sankirtan is the goal; and who stops us from doing this? Jews and Muslims, as well as other demonic belief systems, as interpreted and run by the ultra rich overlords. Those who oppose sankirtana are the enemy. Yes, we can try to find the devotees, but when they kill us and our acaryas, it is time to stop being passive choir boys.

" To deliver the devotees and annihilate the miscreants. "

ps Mahaprabhu marched on the Khazi with tens of thousands of armed men while He was a householder. Arjuna picked up his weapons. Srila Prabhupada told us the fight must go on, and called the materialists dogs hogs camels and asses. He told us that they may try to kill him just as they killed Christ. There is no peacefull acceptance of injustice.

I wish to see spi become powerful and smash all enemies of Sri Krsna to pieces. Meanwhile, we cultivate our association. 

ps i am myself a radical extremist, otherwise there would be no spi site. I have been vilified, lied about, the site hacked, etc so there has been no possibility of peace. My own mentality is a product of this ongoing struggle; i am not in any mood any longer for passively taking it, it is a fight to the death. Is peace possible?; Not for long anywhere in the material worlds. So, fight for Krsna while here, and go back to Godhead. There is no "detachment", rather there is total commitment and all the byproducts thereof.

Srila Prabhupada: “Somebody was criticizing me that “Swamiji, you are introducing this Hare Kṛṣṇa movement. People are becoming coward. They simply chant Hare Kṛṣṇa.” So I replied that “You will see the power of Hare Kṛṣṇa movement in due course of time.” He required… Because there were two battles in India: the battle between Rāvaṇa and Rāma, Rāma-Rāvaṇa, the battle of Rāmāyaṇa; and another battle was Battle of Kurukṣetra. And in these two battles the hero was Vaiṣṇava and Viṣṇu. In the Rāma-Rāvaṇa battle Lord Rāmacandra was there and His devotee Hanumān, Vajrāṅgajī. Similarly, in the Battlefield of Kurukṣetra, Kṛṣṇa was there and His devotee Arjuna was there. So Vaiṣṇavas, they do not simply chant Hare Kṛṣṇa. If there is need, they can fight under the guidance of Viṣṇu and become victorious. A Vaiṣṇava’s one qualification is… Out of the twenty-six qualifications, one qualification is dakṣa,expert. If there is need of fighting, they can fight like very expert. That is also needed. Kṛṣṇa consciousness does not mean one-sided. Kṛṣṇa as all-pervading, the Kṛṣṇa consciousness movement also should be all-pervading. It should touch everything, even politics, sociology, everything, if required. That is the aim. Because Kṛṣṇa’s mission is: yadā yadā hi dharmasya glānir bhavati bhārata [Bg. 4.7], paritrāṇāya sādhūnāṁ vināśāya ca duṣkṛtām [Bg. 4.8].

Tamohara Dasa's photo.

SRILA PRABHUPADA: Still fight must go on. Fight cannot be stopped. So fight like brave soldiers, Kṛṣṇa will help you. Don't make any compromise . .....Devotee: The outcome of the battle is already decided. Just like in Bhagavad-gītā, we've already won. We just have to keep, keep fighting. Prabhupāda: They are now feeling the pressure of the opposite party. So fight is fight. When there is fight, my Guru Mahārāja used to say, "Some of our soldiers will die. It doesn't matter." You don't expect that not a single soldier of your party will not die. No, some of them will die. Still fight must go on. Fight cannot be stopped. So fight like brave soldiers, Kṛṣṇa will help you. Don't make any compromise." Srila Prabhupada Room Conversation February 3, 1977, Bhuvanesvara.

Srila Prabhupada: "So Kṛṣṇa has enemies. Arisudana. And He has to kill them. Kṛṣṇa has got two businesses: paritrāṇāya sādhūnāṁ vināśāya ca duṣkṛtam [Bg. 4.8]. Miscreants... They are miscreants. The demons who challenge Kṛṣṇa, who want to compete with Kṛṣṇa, who want to share with the property of Kṛṣṇa, they are all enemies of Kṛṣṇa, and they should be killed.....So real guru is never to be killed, but the so-called guru has to be killed. The so-called, pseudo guru, false guru, he should be killed." Bhagavad-gita 2.4-5 -- London.

Tamohara Dasa's photo.

Hare Krishna!

I agree with the point of view, Ananta Sesa ji, has explained so well. An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

Krishna urged Arjuna to fight because he was not allowed to do his Svadharma according to his nature as a kshatriya, when all avenues of negotiations were rejected by the Kauravas.

We have to understand, why crime is committed or a terrorist is created. Whenever and wherever there is unemployment, where people have no job to occupy themselves with work according to their nature, they rebel, because their mind is idle hence agitated. An idle mind is a devil's workshop. Hence wherever there is unemployment the crime rate increases. Terrorist are created for the same reason. The youth are brainwashed because there are not enough jobs. They are brainwashed in the name of religion by those who want to control them. Mind has only 3 diseases - to enjoy, to control and possess and to be superior than others.

The call of the day is to realize and spread the message that,

1. We are all One. There is no one higher or lower in the eyes of God. All paths lead to God.

2. Our path is not the only way or better way to God, ours is just another way.

3. There is enough for everyone's need but not for everyone's greed.

4. Share with one another since what we do for another we do for our self as we are all One. Selflessness is the highest form of selfishness. 

We can only change the world by changing our self and how we perceive the world. Be the source. Be the change you want to see. Lead by example, Just like King Janaka.

Hare Krishna!

Being good role models is one reason to do dharmic activity, but the other is just because it IS dharmic duty.  Here in material world, so much entanglement, it is necessary to perform as ordered to sort out the entanglements.  None of us are self-realized(much as some claim to be), so until we really truly get to the state of Krishna prema, we follow the 4 regs and read Srila Prabhupada's books to find out where we all fit in.

RSS

Events

Latest Activity

Tamohara d co-tp. Editor Bh.S posted a discussion

One prominent Vedic astrologer who did Tamal's chart, privately stated this

One prominent Vedic astrologer who did Tamal's chart, privately stated this:“Tamal’s chart is very clear as a low class, envious demoniac person who gets the best of all gurus, but who would use his guru for his own sense gratification, and illegally inherit his material assets. Intelligent people can ‘judge for themselves,’ although most devotees are very clear about what went on and who Tamal was, but there will still always be followers of rakshasas who just offend the pure devotee. Looking…See More
yesterday
Tamohara d co-tp. Editor Bh.S posted blog posts
yesterday

Associate in Bhakti Sastra
David Todd is now a member of Srila Prabhupada's ISKCON ; SPIRITNET
yesterday
Thursday
Tamohara d co-tp. Editor Bh.S commented on Steven L Plount's photo
Thumbnail

Surya Das

"Jaya Prabhu! AGTSP ! pamho"
Wednesday

Steven L Plount posted a photo

Surya Das

its me.
Wednesday

Jari Auer posted a video

Preaching Will Be Nice After WW3 Says Prabhupada! Do We Desire To Help Him Build The New World?

Preaching Will Be Nice After WW3 Says Prabhupada! Do We Desire To Help Him Build The New World? The links will be posted for this video shortly. http://www.p...
Wednesday

Steven L Plount is now a member of Srila Prabhupada's ISKCON ; SPIRITNET
Wednesday
Wednesday
Tamohara d co-tp. Editor Bh.S posted discussions
Sep 13

Bhakti Sastri
Shri Nrsngha Dasa posted a blog post

Srila Prabhupada's arrival to the USA

Several years after Srila Prabhupada first arrived in America, a disciple discovered the diary he had kept during his passage from India on the steamship Jaladuta. Inside was a poem, handwritten in Bengali, which Srila Prabhupada had written on board the ship just after it had arrived in Boston harbor. The poem beautifully captures Srila Prabhupada's first impressions of Western civilization and reveals his heartfelt…See More
Sep 12
Sep 12

© 2017   Created by Tamohara d co-tp. Editor Bh.S.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service